Monday, July 26, 2010

The Faves

It’s my last week in Mogo and I’ve been thinking about trying to write some sort of ‘highlights’ or top moments post. But, since trying to synthesize this entire year into one punchy blog post is clearly unattainable, I thought I’d share some of my random favorites – about Tanzania and my life here:


Favorite thing about living in Morogoro
– seeing the Ulguguru Mountains; the yogurt (seriously. You have not had this yogurt. It’s amazing); having my own house.

Favorite thing about having my own house – PARTIES! Movie-night, pizza-night, Mexican fiesta and Cinco de Mayo. It’s been awesome to have a place to invite people over to where they can relax, feel at home and have a good time.

Favorite songs that remind me of being in TZ
- well, obviously R. Kelly’s “Remix to Ignition”. Duh. But also the “Pole, Samaki, Pole” song, “I’m on a Boat” and “Live your Life”. It’s been the year of cheese-tastic hip hop.

Favorite Memories
– I could never pick just one, or even a top 5. But here are a few amazing ones that come to mind:
  • First weekend in Dar – there is just nothing like that ‘high on life’ feel of being in a new place at the beginning of a new adventure
  • Riding ‘mishkaki’ on a pici pici with Matema home from dinner one night in the rain – something about that was just so hilarious and so uniquely Tanzanian
  • The first time I saw the Ngoronogoro Crater – love at first sight
  • The booze cruise, I mean boat ride, with the Fellows during the midyear retreat in Rwanda
  • Driving through Saadani National Park as the sun set drinking Safaris and looking for animals – a truly golden moment

Favorite foods I make here – pizza (my pizza recipe has gotten pretty good this year; homemade dough and homemade sauce), Karen’s oatmeal bread (so easy, so yummy), peanut butter cookies (they’re legendary at this point)

Favorite run in Morogoro – from my house, down the hill through the pasture, down the Apopo road, through the university and out towards the Apopo TB site and then back. (FYI: this sounds a lot longer than it is)

Favorite thing to eat for lunch – my salad! I have eating this probably approximately 250 days this year for lunch: a cucumber, green pepper and a couple of carrots cut up, thrown in my glass bowl with the lid and toss with a dressing of olive oil, apple cider vinegar and soy sauce. Top with some sesame seeds or peanuts and viola! A lovely lunch.


Favorite movie to watch this year – If I’d actually had the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice I’m sure I would have watched that about 20 times. The newer Kierra Knightly version stood in nicely, but still cuts so much out! I also watched The Family Stone pretty often. I’m also on season 4 of How I Met Your Mother. Never had watched in the US…now I’m kind of addicted.

Favorite snack – mini bananas and peanut butter. They have these small bananas here that are so good and sweet they will blow your mind. And the peanut butter is made locally and is all natural = delicious!

Favorite thing to think about that I wish I would have done (kind of a stretch, but humor me) – buy some sort of transportation! Even if it was just a bicycle. Transportation here is freedom and freedom is worth a lot. If I were to move to live in Africa again for a year that would be the #1 thing I would do differently.

Favorite part of my day – mornings (if you know me well, shocking, I realize). The sun comes up over the mountains and floods my kitchen with warm, glowing light. I love to sit at the kitchen table, drinking coffee or tea and eating my breakfast.


Favorite trip outside of TZ – South Africa for the World Cup! Rwanda was pretty awesome but South Africa was the jam. Nothing like getting to be at the first World Cup held in Africa.

Favorite trip inside TZ – Kilwa for Thanksgiving. Pumpkins on the bus, scuba diving for the first time, laying on the beach and cooking up an amazing dinner of red snapper…it was one of my favorite Thanksgivings ever.

Favorite spot in Tanzania – The Ngorongoro Crater. I just love it.

Favorite name to be called when being greeted – “mamma”. Habari ocho mamma? Generally reserved for women who are actually mothers; or at least who you think are old enough to be mothers. That gets me every time!


Favorite thing I received in the mail this year – Hands down, Special K bars that my grandma made and sent to me. They may have gotten lost in the mail for 3 weeks, but they were still delicious. A close second is the beer Emily sent me from Colorado. Heart Dale’s Pale Ale.

4 comments:

  1. Jill Barrs WildermuthJuly 26, 2010 at 3:53 PM

    If I had known you like BBC's "P&P", I totally would have sent you my extra copy! I gave it away to Goodwill just before we moved. I swear, mine has holes in the discs from watching it so much. :) I've loved reading your blog this past year - so bittersweet that you're leaving, but so exciting that you'll be back in the US. Have a safe trip home, and a wonderful last week in TZ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved reading about all this and the great thing was I knew exactly where you were talking about. Esp the favorite run -down the road - thru the pasture and thru the university. Altho some times in Africa were a stretch for me- I would not trade it for the world - to have experienced your life there. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I do thinκ this is аn exсellеnt sіte.

    I stumbledupon it ;) І'm going to revisit once again since I saved as a favorite it. Money and freedom is the best way to change, may you be rich and continue to help others.

    My site: megasuert.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. With all these you can have access to all the features of Xbox Live.
    Before you log onto Facebook to change your status to something about how you got reamed by Microsoft on Christmas,
    you need to visit and give our Godsend of a generator a click and get your free Xbox
    Live codes. The points do come pretty fast but you do need to work to get your points.


    my web site :: microsoft points codes

    ReplyDelete