Friday, July 2, 2010

The Big Man

I read this column today in the NY Times by Richard Cohen, which tries to draw some parallels between the teams that have advanced to the quarter-finals in the World Cup and the politics of Africa. It's a bit of a stretch, but Cohen points out that the teams who relied on one "Big Man" (aka star player) have not fared as well other teams who rely on their collective strength and talent as a team. He brings in examples of other infamous African dictators (Mugabe, Mobutu) and how the proliferation of the "Big Man" syndrome in Africa has spelled disaster is so many instances.

Like I said, it's a bit of a stretch. A football team is hardly a nation, and playing together for 90 minutes isn't really that much like running a country. Yet, I do think Cohen has a point. Soccer, politics or any other arena, the "Big Man" definitely exists in Africa. Sometimes they go by different names, "The Big Boss" or "The Bwana Kubwa", but everybody here knows and understands what and, more importantly, who, is a "Big Man". Simply stated, they are the ones with the power. And they are not the ones you question or stand up to.

To state my personal bias upfront, I deplore the presence and proliferation of the "Big Man" syndrome that I've seen in Africa. The swagger, egoism and sheer audacity of (sorry to say, but it's always) men in power who presume themselves infallible, or at least un-catch-able, strikes me as odious and offends my deepest values of equality, justice and freedom.

But that is also part of the point. As a Westerner, I grew up steeped in the sacredness of democratic ideas. And as an Americans, I grew up steeped in the even-more-sacredness of the right to self-determination and the ability for anybody, from anywhere to become anything they want. That's what it means to be an American.

But in Tanzania, children grow up learning different values - hospitality, togetherness, providing for family members and helping each other out are much more central values here. Equality is nice, but everybody takes it for granted that hierarchy is a basic and intrinsic fact of life here.

So you can see how the "Big Man" syndrome lives on. Power continues to be centralized in the hands of a few and people continue to keep quite and not demand their rights and the "Big Man" cycles continues.

I want to stay away from making any assertions that I "understand" this situation perfectly or "know" how to improve it; I don't. I'm a guest in this country and I will never understand fully what it means to be a Tanzanian or African. But in my year here I have come to feel deeply that for Tanzania to progress, there does need to be a stronger sense of ownership and self-determination among the people; to not only acknowledge their rights, but to actually stand up and exercise them.

But how to do fight for better wages when you've not job at all? How do you demand better healthcare when you yourself are already sick? How do you instill a sense of self-determination in a place where people often have so little control over their choices or lives? And how do you foster a democratic spirit without trying to make Tanzania into America?

These are not easy questions and they're ones I wrestle with all the time. But as I think about America's upcoming celebration of her independence, I do still have to hope that despite the insane quagmire of issues and obstacles to negotiate, Tanzania, and Africa, will continue taking steps towards taking control of their own freedom, and ultimately destiny. I hope in 20 years there won't be as many "Big Men" around. I hope Tanzanians will feel like they have a greater voice in determining the course of their country. And I hope Africa will be a freer place.

No comments:

Post a Comment