Monday, July 19, 2010

Three Weeks

Three weeks from today it will be August 9th, and I will arrive back in the US after a little more than a year in Tanzania.

In the last couple of weeks in Mogo, the university has let out for summer holidays and many people have left, so life has been relatively quiet. Thus, I've had a lot of time to think about what it's going to be like going home.

Obviously it's a bit strange to try prepare yourself for being back in the US. After all, it has been my home for the vast majority of my 28 years, how strange can it be? Still, I can't imagine it won't be a little weird... I somehow picture myself running off the plane, buying Junior Mints and ordering soy latte's, while shoving pretzels in my mouth and staring wide-eyed at all the bright lights. (Let's all hope this scene will be avoided).

And while I do look forward to some Junior Mints, pretzels and latte's (but probably not all at once), I doubt that the availability of chain-coffee stores and more junk food will be what strikes me about being back. The thing is, I don't really know what will strike me about being back. I think that's the toughest part of trying to prepare to go home. What will feel weird? What will seem different? Or will nothing seem different and that will be the weird part?

In past travel ventures, the experience being back goes something like this: initial euphoria at being home, clean clothes! an actual (hot) shower! your own bed! your favorite foods! you see all your friends and hug all your family and run around in a jet-lagged frenzy for a few days high on the excitement of being back. and then,....what?

It's hard to put your finger on exactly why, but I think one of the hard things about coming home, that "let down" you often feel after the first few days back, is something about having been in a situation that challenged and stretched you, almost constantly, for a long time and now suddenly life is just, well, normal. And it can be hard to switch back to that speed.

When I get home I'll be spending an action-packed week in MN that will involve a lot of a) seeing friends b) eating c) day drinking and d) kissing babies (but not necessarily in that order). And then I'll be heading out on an epic road trip to North Carolina with my dear friend Kristi and have just under a week to get settled before school starts.

It's going to be a little crazy (not exactly "normal" speed), and while I do wish I had more time before school starts, I think the fast-paced-ness of it will actually be good for me. It will give me something to dive into and to put my energy into. And it will give me a new place to explore and most importantly a new challenge to focus on. I think coming home without an outlet to focus your mental energy into would be tough.

As I hang out in Mogo my last few weeks, doing nothing much in particular, I'm taking time to enjoy the mundane-ness of it all: going out for a run, buying vegetables at the market, sitting outside in the evening drinking a beer, reading a book. There's not much going on here, and while sometimes I do get a little bored, I'm also enjoying it. Because I know in a few short weeks I won't have the chance to go to bed at 9:30pm if I'm tired or decide to make pizza sauce, just because. Life in the US will be back, and it will be busy and full and slightly chaotic. And I'm excited for that; I look forward to that. But I know I will miss TZ and being here.

So for right now, I'm trying to savor every moment of my last 3 weeks, and especially the quiet ones. I'm sure the Junior Mints, lattes, and all the rest of it will be there for me when I get back.

2 comments:

  1. Transitions...they always are a bit scary and a bit thrilling. I can't help but relate them to coming to a curve in the road while driving...your foot taps on the break just enough to start slowing down (to brace yourself and/or take a deep breath) 'til you get into the corner/curve. And then you place your foot back onto the excellerator to continue out of the curve and continue on your way.

    We seem to hesitate just before things get shook up a bit in life. I know your upcoming transition is huge and is likely filled with several transitioning points. I hope you continue to practice your stutter step of reflection and preparation even in the demanding environment of the US. Thanks for blogging...thanks for making me think beyond the details of my life today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you still like Junior Mints. Such an classic Angie thing. :)

    Soak up your time in Africa...process...reflect. I understand the...vertigo of transitions back to the USA. If I know you like I think I do, you will manage to adjust gracefully and honestly. A bit of unashamed laughing at yourself through it all never hurts either.

    Also! I am glad that I will get to see you on your epic roadtrip to the land of the pine. Let me know if you are planning on staying the night on the 16th. Looking forward to seeing your Angie face!!

    Love you! Em

    ReplyDelete